The first step in getting help for drug or alcohol addiction involves admitting there is a problem. Many people avoid seeing what may be obvious to friends and loved ones. They fear the stigma they feel comes with getting help at a Florida addiction treatment center. However, addiction is a chronic disease that requires sustained, ongoing treatment. Admission to an addiction center in Florida puts people on the path to achieving recovery in a healthy way.
There is nothing to be ashamed about when getting help for addiction. Millions of people are affected by this disease and it takes courage and determination to recover.
Overcoming Myths About Addiction
One of the biggest obstacles people must overcome is the myths that persist when it comes to addiction. Breaking down mental barriers is essential to getting the help needed to overcome the substance use disorder at a quality Florida addiction treatment center.
- People suffering from addiction are not bad people who deserve punishment
- People do not choose to become addicted to drugs or alcohol
- It is possible to become addicted to more than one substance (polysubstance abuse)
- There’s no difference in being addicted to illegal drugs versus prescription drugs or alcohol
- Treatment facilities aren’t meant to punish those suffering from addiction
Florida Addiction Treatment Center Options
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach that works for everyone. If you’re having trouble narrowing down your treatment options, consult with an addiction specialist, like a psychiatrist, for help choosing a Florida addiction treatment center. You should receive a full evaluation confirming that you have an addiction disorder. That will help in finding a facility offering the kind of treatment options suited to your specific condition.
Here’s a rundown of the treatment options you may find at a local Jacksonville, FL drug rehab center.
- Inpatient treatment — People with a severe addiction disorder often benefit from an inpatient or residential rehab stay. You receive constant supervision and access to programs designed to help you develop the skills needed to survive on the outside without drugs or alcohol. It’s also a good option for people suffering from a dual diagnosis. An inpatient stay at a Florida addiction treatment center offers the opportunity to receive treatment for symptoms related to addiction and any underlying mental health disorder.
- Outpatient rehab — Outpatient addiction treatment is another way for people to receive comprehensive care for their addiction issues. If you’re interested in this option, look for an addiction center in Florida offering an extensive array of services like those provided in an inpatient setting.
- Detox services — It may be necessary to purge your system of any remaining toxins before entering addiction treatment. Many addiction treatment centers offer drug and alcohol detox services. They monitor clients suffering from withdrawal and can act if there is a medical emergency.
- Sober living — Sober living facilities act as a bridge for clients once they leave an inpatient addiction treatment center. They receive additional reinforcement of the things learned in inpatient rehab before returning to living a normal life.
Available Therapies at a Florida Addiction Treatment Center
The admission process to most Florida addiction treatment centers involves giving clients a full medical evaluation. They should check for any mental health issues along with any physical problems that require careful monitoring.
Some of the various therapy services offered by most addiction centers include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Biofeedback therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Experimental therapy
- Holistic therapy
Choose from addiction treatment center programs in FL offering the kind of services geared to treating your issues. Improve your chances of a lasting recovery by committing to the treatment process.