When you are ready to seek treatment for your substance use disorder (SUD), it is critical to take the time to research the available treatment options to find one best suited to your needs. Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) tenants and the 12 Steps have long served as the foundation for treating substance use disorders. Although millions of people have found recovery through the 12 steps, this approach does not work for everyone. Individuals who have not had success with traditional or standard approaches to treatment, or those who are not interested in trying this approach, can turn to holistic addiction treatment programs in Florida.
Holistic addiction treatment focuses on treating the whole person rather than just their SUD symptoms. Substance use disorders and mental health disorders impact a person’s body, mind, and spirit. Therefore, treatment needs to address their physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs. This integrative approach to co-occurring disorders treatment provides the best outcomes for long-term recovery.
What Are Alternative Treatment Options?
The calming effects of holistic treatment options make them ideal for helping people manage detox more comfortably and better cope with the physical, emotional, and spiritual challenges of recovery from co-occurring disorders. A holistic approach also allows individuals to identify and work through the underlying factors contributing to substance abuse or addiction.
Among the alternative treatment options available for substance abuse treatment in Florida are the following:
- Yoga – Helps center the body and mind in the present
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) – Addresses trauma, anxiety, and other triggers
- Nutritional therapy – Nutritional counseling and a healthy diet address health issues related to a poor diet
- Spa therapies – Massage and other relaxation treatments address pain management
- Meditation and mindfulness – Effective for managing cravings, triggers, and intense emotions
- Experiential therapies – Art and music therapy allow for creative expression to work through trauma or other symptoms
- Acupuncture – Eases the symptoms of withdrawal and increases energy and positive thinking
Different substance abuse treatment facilities in Florida will offer other alternative treatment options. Be sure to do your research to ensure that the facility you choose provides the therapies most important to you and your goals for recovery.
What Are the Benefits of Holistic Addiction Treatment?
While the 12-step approach to treating substance use disorders has proven effective for millions, it is not the right approach for others. Addiction treatment facilities that use the 12-step approach as the foundation of their approach to treatment work from the disease model focus on an individual’s loss of control over substance use and teach them to rely on external resources to maintain recovery.
On the other hand, holistic addiction treatment focuses on the individual’s internal needs and innate drive to become self-actualized. Throughout treatment, people learn the skills and tools they need to maintain their sobriety outside of treatment for the long term. Benefits of holistic addiction therapy include:
- Greater variety of treatment options – A holistic approach typically offers a wider variety of therapies, enabling individuals to find the ones that speak to their needs.
- Low-cost coping skills – Holistic approaches such as yoga and meditation are coping skills that can be practiced after rehab with little to no cost.
- Peaceful and compassionate environment – A welcoming atmosphere provides a space where clients feel safe to reflect upon their recovery needs and goals.
- Reduced risk for relapse – Using a combination of traditional and holistic approaches to treatment has reduced relapse rates because of improved overall well-being.
- Individualized care – Holistic treatment is tailored to each individual’s unique needs and goals rather than a one-size-fits-all approach.
Approaches for treating SUD and co-occurring mental health disorders that focus on treating the whole person rather than their symptoms are more effective than traditional therapies alone. Holistic addiction treatment strengthens personal resolve, self-respect, and accountability while inspiring self-reliance and empowerment.
Discover the Benefits of Holistic Addiction Treatment in Florida
Overcoming the physical and psychological dependence on drugs or alcohol that results in substance use disorders is challenging and requires hard work and dedication to the cause. Mental health disorders and substance use disorders frequently go hand-in-hand, with each impacting the other. Co-occurring treatment is necessary for complete recovery. People are turning to a holistic approach that aims to heal all parts of a person, addressing their physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs. When you are ready to break free from the grips of SUD, you will want to discover the benefits of holistic addiction treatment in Florida.